Thinking Green? Looking to reduce the carbon footprint of your home and save on energy at the same time? Versi-Foam® spray foam insulation is your residential applications sealing solution.
Versi-Foam® is an expandable foam that will completely seal any gaps and crevices preventing air infiltration, moisture infiltration as well as intrusion of dirt and pollutants from outdoors. Areas where Versi-Foam® spray foam insulation can be applied include:
- Apply spray foam in open wall cavities before interior drywall or plaster is installed
- Applying spray foam to existing closed walls is NOT recommended due to the pressure created by the expansion of closed cell polyurethane foam. Damage to drywall and plaster will occur if the cavities are overfilled.
- Spray in the sill plate (where the walls meet the foundation)
- Use in service entrances (openings through which electrical, plumbing or heating services enter the house)
- Use in concrete or cinder block holes and foundation cracks
- Apply to loose-fitting heating/cooling ducts
- Apply to stud walls in finished basement applications
- Sprayed directly to the underside of the roof deck (Note: Local building codes may require installation of a vapor retarder)
- Spray in open frame cavities in walls or partitions which are open to the attic.
- Spray in holes in the ceiling (especially around electrical boxes and wiring, HVAC exhaust fans, plumbing installations, attic hatches and chimneys).
- Apply to shrinkage cracks between framing and interior finishes on partition walls.
- Use along the underside of the roof deck (for unvented attic applications).
Before polyurethane foam insulation is sprayed in an unvented attic or cathedral ceiling application, the builder, contractor or homeowner should review their shingle manufacturer’s warranty to see if sprayed polyurethane foam insulation (when used along the underside of the roof deck without any air ventilation) will void or reduce the shingle warranty.
A prescriptive ignition barrier (1/4″ plywood, 1.5″ mineral wool, etc.) should be installed over the polyurethane foam insulation within unoccupied attics or crawlspaces to meet residential building codes. Interior surfaces in inhabited buildings should be covered with a 15 minute thermal barrier (such as 1/2″ gypsum wallboard) for fire protection. Consult your local building code authorities regarding requirements of installation of polyurethane spray foam insulation.
Residential Insulation and The Building Envelope
Versi-Foam® spray foam will act as a sound dampening material, softening surfaces to reduce echo and will inhibit the passage of sound from one area to another, contributing to a better performing “Building Envelope.” The air barrier system within a “Building Envelope” is a critically important element for economic control for moisture, thermal transfer and preserving structural integrity. An inadequate barrier system will allow leakage of air through holes, leaks, cracks and gaps in the thermal building envelope. The end result is movement of air, moisture and heat. The leaking air carries humidity to the dew point locations within the building envelope, resulting in a growth of black rot or mildew.
Another concern among home owners today is the rise of energy costs to heat/cool their homes. An inadequate barrier system will allow heat to flow through the home and between its surroundings by conduction, convection and radiation. Simply stated, heat will always flow from hot to cold resulting in increased energy costs within an inadequate barrier system.
Choose the Class I formula for physical properties of the spray foam insulation recommended for residential application
Please visit Energy Star for energy saving ideas for your home. Saving on energy costs is good for everyone. Use spray foam insulation to seal and insulate around those leaky windows, doors, attics and other areas in your home. Residential construction is only one of the many applications for Versi-Foam. We have distributors of our spray foam products in many areas. Use our contact form or call us to find one in your area. Insulation is our business.
Read more about the versatility of Versi-Foam and its many applications for individuals and businesses: